Monday, May 31, 2010

The Church

Not too far from us is a very nice Catholic Church. I can see the cross in the daytime from my porch, and at night I can see the cross from my porch. The cross on the top of the church is lit up with Christmas lights. And, lest you forget when noon rolls around or when church starts, they have the most hideous bell you've ever heard. It sounds sort of like the clang clang of come-and-get-it triangle on the back of a chuckwagon. I am sure they love their bell. BUT- I think they would be secretly pleased if we all took up a collection and bought them a new and improved bell. Something will a nice lilt to it. A nice bong instead of a clang. I do like the lights on the cross, however, and, although not as nice as the neon "Jesus Saves" sign in downtown Houston atop a Baptist Church, it is a beacon of good that shines when the darkness falls.

1 comment: